About Me

My photo

Known as Mortar on the forums I frequent

Thursday, 29 December 2016

Wrapping up 2016

Well, here we are at the end of another year, and personally it can't end soon enough. I'm not talking about all the crazy stuff happening in various parts of the world, or the craziness of US presidential election campaigns, or even the stunning number of celebrities that have left us.



I am talking the roller coaster that I have been riding, and this is just the tail end of a six year long ride of awesome peaks and some really black scary holes. To top it off, I am not entirely sure if this is a ride I will ever actually be able to get off.

For the next few posts (4-6 for sure) I am going to look a little deeper at the demons and darkness that have been part of me since my deployment to Afghanistan 2010. A deployment that while one hand was the culminating point of my career; yet on the other hand was the beginning of the end of my career.

Some serious self reflection starting near the end of November, some disgust at certain stories I have seen in the news over the last few months, and finally being disgusted and VERY angry with issues relating to my situation directly.

As a general warning/disclaimer there will be things that I say over the next few posts that some WILL find offensive or otherwise disturbing. There will be no punches pulled, and I can't make apologies for them. Its the straight up truth of the good and bad of this journey...and it's a fucking ugly truth.

Its a truth I need to tell. Mental Health issues of any kind have a really ugly stigma attached to them, that needs to change. Not all wounds are visible, and its those invisible ones that are the worst...both the for the one suffering and their loved ones. Just maybe this will help someone, even a little bit.

On a far more cheery note, and very surprising to me this is post #40 since I started this blog back at the end of March and had over 2400 page views. I was expecting third of that since I do tend to ramble on about niche content for a niche product.

Thanks for all the views and comments.