About Me

My photo

Known as Mortar on the forums I frequent

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Day 10 #RPGaDay



Largest in game surprise I have experienced?

This one took a lot of thinking, I was originally trying to think of surprises I have pulled on players but really couldn't come up with any really good ones. So I had to go with one where, a good friend and I as players surprised the players in the group.

Waaaayy back in high school, pre-2nd edition AD&D days my good friend Chris (we have been friends for almost 40 years) and I played in multiple groups. One of the campaigns we were involved in the GM ran two totally different groups in the same home brew world. The groups had heard of the other's exploits, but had never crossed paths at all. Our characters were a pair of brothers who were both fighter types and after several years of campaigning two or three times a week were both fairly well leveled....like about level 15 or so. We weren't exactly saints....but not too evil either.

Being all army brats, the members of the groups tended to fluctuate somewhat and this particular summer the other players in this group had moved away. The second group our GM ran also lost a couple of players and were at a point where they needed some extra muscle for a particularly nasty expedition. It also helped that both our characters were very familiar with the area the group was going to. So the GM brought us into the other group.

Now we knew of one or two of the players but had never played with them. Our two brothers join the group and guide them to the area they were interested in. A freaking huge dungeon our GM delighted in constantly adding to and/or changing (think Undermountain or Rappan Athuk huge).

So after several sessions, the others hadn't actually realized that their two new beat'em ups were brothers. We didn't tell them, cause well, they never asked. The party was holed up in a fairly large room, and had just surprised and captured some underlings of the BBEG they were after.

The others being of good alignment and disposition questioned the prisoners nicely and had not received any real answers from them. The players were discussing their options when my buddy Chris decides to take matters into his own hands.

He walks up to the prisoners and points at one of them and says to him, "You're going to tell me what we want to know." He then promptly smashes the ankles of the prisoner next to him. Chris looks back at the first prisoner and says, "Cause once I break every bone in his body, I am going to start with yours."

This gets the attention of the other players, meanwhile I am sitting off in the corner minding my own business. The argument that ensues was funny as hell, and Chris keeps basically telling them he is going to get the info one or another, if they don't like it they can look the other way. Chris takes another swing at the maimed prisoner, and one of the other players sticks his shield in the way to block the attack and announces, "He swung at me first, so I am attacking" This sets off a messy in party fight.

I am still minding my own business in the corner, and one of the players has a sudden gleam of intelligence and says, "I am going to go sit in the corner and read my play-elf." In the fight that followed four characters attacked Chris, with the one dude in the corner and I taking it all in. Before they killed Chris' character he was able to kill one of them and wounded the others.

After a few minutes there are three wounded PC's looking  down at the dead bodies of two other characters, and they begin discussing how they were going to split up the loot and get their dead friend brought back to life.

Enter my character....."I just have one question for you guys."

They all turn and look at me.

"Now that you killed my brother, who do I kill first?"

The looks on their faces was awesome, and when it was over I had my choice of some pretty cool loot.

Oh, and the guy reading the play-elf got some nice stuff too after I had him carry my brother's body all the way back to town.

Best part of it all - nobody went away mad.