About Me

My photo

Known as Mortar on the forums I frequent

Thursday, 5 May 2016

Writing and some other random thoughts

One of the things I have been tossing around in my head, is sitting down and doing serious writing, In my "spare time" there has been some background stuff in this area. I have a good chunk of an account completed of my battles with PTSD and all that goes along with that, the dealings with the Canadian military health system and the daily battle to stay alive and have functional relationships family and friends

The stigma within the military is still there, and its quite evident; this stigma is also destroying still serving soldiers who could otherwise still fulfill a role. Those four letters are more than enough to bring careers to halt. Some are able to get treatment, and can carry on. Others like me can't. I am currently undergoing my fourth round of treatment and my 24 year military career has been brought to en end. Now, I am think I have come to terms with the career loss, it was something I always to to do and be part of. I would have willing spent the next ten years or so wearing that uniform.

Its the uncertainty that my family face now in the coming months, 65% of the household income is gone as I wait on the military to sort itself out and start my pension and waiting on Veteran's Affairs and the Appeal Boards decide on their end of things. I am not sure at this time if I will ever be able to work in or around the public again. I don't leave the house without some form of companion - whether that is my son or wife - even if I am just going down the road to the corner store.

So needless to say I have had a lot of times to think and do some stuff to help relax and reduce stress. One of the has been the Fantasy Grounds conversions I have been doing. Working on the XML for me has been very relaxing and enjoyable. Writing is something else that I have been enjoying, as mentioned I have started working on one book, I have no idea how large it will be in the end. I have plotting a thriller series - likely 4-5 books, and have been jotting down notes off and on of a fantasty series that will likely end up at around the same 4-5 book mark,

It will probably take a couple more months to finish up editing and proofing that first book, after that I have no real vision laid out beyond writing. I have plans to take various computer programming courses and start learning in that field because it interests me.

As well, I am looking at the various ways of self publishing as going the traditional book publisher route is slow and way to costly to the reader. Other writers do all the work themselves, including the editing, proofing, and publish solely in the e-book market. We'll have to see what happens in the coming months.

All I know is it is time for me to start writing.